Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Surgery.

Well, as stated in my previous blog- my headache is GONE! Now, the only thing holding me back is all the restrictions (mainly one: can't lift more than 10 pounds) and the surgical pain, which gets better daily!

The day of surgery started out very stressful. On our way to the hospital, which is less than a mile from our house, we got in a car accident. There was a very light snowfall on the ground, but it was slippery. A young kid in a fast car missed a stop sign, and BAM, plowed into our van, pushing us up on a curve, freaking me out completely. Not exactly how you want to start a day of surgery. I felt like it was bad karma, and was crying pretty bad, wondering what was going to happen next. (Fortunately, the IV was hooked up in one try, and I was given some medication to calm me down.)

Ok, so we had to be at the hospital at 8:30am. Luckily, a lady walking home from work, saw the accident and ran over to see if we were okay. Turns out, she worked the night shift in the OR, and called them to let them know I'd be late. My mom came to get me and take me to the hospital while Brandon filed a police report and had the van towed. My surgery was scheduled for 11 am, but the nurse informed us that it would be more around 12:30 before the OR would be available.

Waiting... waiting... waiting... we all know I'm the most impatient person in the world.... more waiting, dad shows up... waiting... waiting... waiting... look at pictures... talk about childhood... waiting... nurse comes in, okay- probably more around 1:30 or 2... waiting... waiting... waiting... go to the bathroom for the 900th time... waiting... waiting... waiting... start an antibiotic... waiting... 901 visit to the bathrom...waiting... FINALLY, 3 pm shows up, and I'm wheeled away from my hubby and parents into the OR.

That's when true panic set in. It was strange being the one on the bed being wheeled down the hall, looking up at the ceiling, seeing the lights flash by. I enter the OR, panicked, and ask for more drugs to calm me down. The amazing anestesiologist gladly obliges (he was really nice). I look over at the OR table, and see what seems like 20 pillows stacked up on the table, and wonder just exactly how this surgery is going to happen. I ask the nurse, for the 3rd time, "you're not shaving my head until I'm under, right?" Answer "Yes!" Next thing I remember, is the anestesiologist telling me to breathe in. I ask, "is this just oxygen?"

It's now Saturday, and I'm being taken to a CT scan. What happened? I remember nothing after 3 pm the day before. Call hubby. He comes to the hospital. Says I was hilarious in the recovery room. I wanted to know what the incision looked like immediately. Didn't want anyone to let go of my hand. And wanted to know where the heck my daddy was! Only 2 were allowed in recovery at one time. Apparently after that I was sent to the ICU (standard protocol), where I continued my hilarious antics (according to hubby).

Saturday, I look in the mirror and see where my head is shaved, see the incision... and feel the pain. I was told I could push the pain pump button every 6 minutes. 6 minutes seemed like an eternity. It was really hard to move my head, and I was severly dizzy. Sunday arrives somehow. Again, pain. Then Monday, more dizziness. Tuesday, how did Tuesday get here already? Wednesday... more dizziness, let's try another pill. Thursday, less dizziness, you can go home! After 6 days in the hospital, after being told 2-3 days, I was sent home.

Finally home. Hating the weight lifting restriction of 10 pounds. Samantha asks to see my "boo boo" again. Kisses said "boo boo." Sleep sounds good. Sleeeeeeeeeeep.

I think I slept most of the weekend. I really can't remember. Disobey orders. Lift babies. Get yelled at by my mom (who named herself Nurse Cratchet). Disobey more orders and get incision wet. Just want to wash my hair!

The following Tuesday arrives. Appointment with Dr. Asfora- the neurosurgeon. Mom takes me. (Another rule- no driving for 2 weeks.) She asks a gazillion questions. My main questions, 1. why am I so dizzy? 2. When can I wash my hair? Answers: 1. Medication. 2. That day! I'm told to stop taking the dilaudid, and stick to tylenol 3 for pain control.

Thursday arrives... appointment with pain doctor. This time dad takes me. We schedule PT for the 21st and beyond, and am given refills on my tylenol 3 and the medication to help the room stop spinning.

Friday- 2 weeks down! Still breaking the lifting rule. Still getting "punished" by mom. Still more "boo boo" kissing from Samantha. Go to a movie. Move around a bit by walking through TJ Maxx.

Saturday- night out with hubby and parents. Feels good.

Sunday- regretting night out. Feeling really dizzy. Want to sleep. And then sleep some more.

Monday- dizziness still lingers. Dr. Asfora says it's not the surgery, Dr. Cho (pain doctor) says it's not the medication. Nurse Cratchet says I have to get out of bed. Park with kiddos. Want to nap, but Nurse Cratchet says no.

Tuesday- Nurse Cratchet still wants me out of bed. Rescue Elphie from Doggy jail. Up all day. Sleep actually comes easily.

Now it's today! Mall with kiddos... feeling the exhaustion, still extremely dizzy... but still so thankful I had the surgery. A little envious of the little girl that's sleeping in the bed nearby. Maybe I can curl up and Nurse Cratchet won't notice... ahh, sleep.

All in all, recovery is awful, but gets easier everyday. I'm extremely impatient, want the weight restriction lifted, and am nervous about my girls leaving for Georgia. I'm glad I had the surgery, and so thankful the only pain I have now is all surgical, not that pesky headache I had for what seems like forever!!

Melissa

No comments:

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Surgery.

Well, as stated in my previous blog- my headache is GONE! Now, the only thing holding me back is all the restrictions (mainly one: can't lift more than 10 pounds) and the surgical pain, which gets better daily!

The day of surgery started out very stressful. On our way to the hospital, which is less than a mile from our house, we got in a car accident. There was a very light snowfall on the ground, but it was slippery. A young kid in a fast car missed a stop sign, and BAM, plowed into our van, pushing us up on a curve, freaking me out completely. Not exactly how you want to start a day of surgery. I felt like it was bad karma, and was crying pretty bad, wondering what was going to happen next. (Fortunately, the IV was hooked up in one try, and I was given some medication to calm me down.)

Ok, so we had to be at the hospital at 8:30am. Luckily, a lady walking home from work, saw the accident and ran over to see if we were okay. Turns out, she worked the night shift in the OR, and called them to let them know I'd be late. My mom came to get me and take me to the hospital while Brandon filed a police report and had the van towed. My surgery was scheduled for 11 am, but the nurse informed us that it would be more around 12:30 before the OR would be available.

Waiting... waiting... waiting... we all know I'm the most impatient person in the world.... more waiting, dad shows up... waiting... waiting... waiting... look at pictures... talk about childhood... waiting... nurse comes in, okay- probably more around 1:30 or 2... waiting... waiting... waiting... go to the bathroom for the 900th time... waiting... waiting... waiting... start an antibiotic... waiting... 901 visit to the bathrom...waiting... FINALLY, 3 pm shows up, and I'm wheeled away from my hubby and parents into the OR.

That's when true panic set in. It was strange being the one on the bed being wheeled down the hall, looking up at the ceiling, seeing the lights flash by. I enter the OR, panicked, and ask for more drugs to calm me down. The amazing anestesiologist gladly obliges (he was really nice). I look over at the OR table, and see what seems like 20 pillows stacked up on the table, and wonder just exactly how this surgery is going to happen. I ask the nurse, for the 3rd time, "you're not shaving my head until I'm under, right?" Answer "Yes!" Next thing I remember, is the anestesiologist telling me to breathe in. I ask, "is this just oxygen?"

It's now Saturday, and I'm being taken to a CT scan. What happened? I remember nothing after 3 pm the day before. Call hubby. He comes to the hospital. Says I was hilarious in the recovery room. I wanted to know what the incision looked like immediately. Didn't want anyone to let go of my hand. And wanted to know where the heck my daddy was! Only 2 were allowed in recovery at one time. Apparently after that I was sent to the ICU (standard protocol), where I continued my hilarious antics (according to hubby).

Saturday, I look in the mirror and see where my head is shaved, see the incision... and feel the pain. I was told I could push the pain pump button every 6 minutes. 6 minutes seemed like an eternity. It was really hard to move my head, and I was severly dizzy. Sunday arrives somehow. Again, pain. Then Monday, more dizziness. Tuesday, how did Tuesday get here already? Wednesday... more dizziness, let's try another pill. Thursday, less dizziness, you can go home! After 6 days in the hospital, after being told 2-3 days, I was sent home.

Finally home. Hating the weight lifting restriction of 10 pounds. Samantha asks to see my "boo boo" again. Kisses said "boo boo." Sleep sounds good. Sleeeeeeeeeeep.

I think I slept most of the weekend. I really can't remember. Disobey orders. Lift babies. Get yelled at by my mom (who named herself Nurse Cratchet). Disobey more orders and get incision wet. Just want to wash my hair!

The following Tuesday arrives. Appointment with Dr. Asfora- the neurosurgeon. Mom takes me. (Another rule- no driving for 2 weeks.) She asks a gazillion questions. My main questions, 1. why am I so dizzy? 2. When can I wash my hair? Answers: 1. Medication. 2. That day! I'm told to stop taking the dilaudid, and stick to tylenol 3 for pain control.

Thursday arrives... appointment with pain doctor. This time dad takes me. We schedule PT for the 21st and beyond, and am given refills on my tylenol 3 and the medication to help the room stop spinning.

Friday- 2 weeks down! Still breaking the lifting rule. Still getting "punished" by mom. Still more "boo boo" kissing from Samantha. Go to a movie. Move around a bit by walking through TJ Maxx.

Saturday- night out with hubby and parents. Feels good.

Sunday- regretting night out. Feeling really dizzy. Want to sleep. And then sleep some more.

Monday- dizziness still lingers. Dr. Asfora says it's not the surgery, Dr. Cho (pain doctor) says it's not the medication. Nurse Cratchet says I have to get out of bed. Park with kiddos. Want to nap, but Nurse Cratchet says no.

Tuesday- Nurse Cratchet still wants me out of bed. Rescue Elphie from Doggy jail. Up all day. Sleep actually comes easily.

Now it's today! Mall with kiddos... feeling the exhaustion, still extremely dizzy... but still so thankful I had the surgery. A little envious of the little girl that's sleeping in the bed nearby. Maybe I can curl up and Nurse Cratchet won't notice... ahh, sleep.

All in all, recovery is awful, but gets easier everyday. I'm extremely impatient, want the weight restriction lifted, and am nervous about my girls leaving for Georgia. I'm glad I had the surgery, and so thankful the only pain I have now is all surgical, not that pesky headache I had for what seems like forever!!

Melissa

No comments: