Family.
There are many types.
The "typical" mom & dad & biological children.
Children raised by two mommies or two daddies.
Couples without any children.
Families with a huge extension of cousins and aunts and uncles.
Children with only a mom or only a dad.
Kids raised by their grandparents.
Feeling like you belong to a certain group of people.
(for instance, my Odyssey of the Mind "family.")
The list goes on and on...
It doesn't really matter what your family dynamic includes.
What matters is that you can look to someone, or a group of people as your family.
I'm from a "typical" family. I was raised by my mom & dad, with two brothers, and a dog.
Except, my Mom & Dad didn't conceive me.
I was actually conceived by two entirely different people, with two entirely different lives.
One, that loved me enough to realize that she couldn't raise me, and the other, well, less desirable contributor to my life.
When I was born, I didn't go home with the lady that gave birth to me.
Instead, I went to a foster family, until my for-life family was found.
In December 1983, my parents got an unexpected call.
There was a baby girl that needed a family.
Would they be interested?
Well, duh.... I'm irresistible.
I found a family.
In 1985, my adoption was official.
But at that point, even paperwork didn't matter.
I knew my mom as my mom and my dad as my dad.
Even though the courts had to approve the adoption, in our hearts we were a family.
I never considered my parents my "adoptive" parents. They are simply my parents.
Blood does not matter.
Tomorrow is National Adoption Day.
A time to reflect on those who have gone through the adoption process, whether the birth family, the adoptee, or the adoptive family.
It's a day to bring the adoption option to light, and for people to realize that there are plenty of children out there in need of a forever family, and a time for others to realize, that you don't have to do it alone. If you're not ready to be a parent, someone else is.
People ask me. "What about gay
adoptions? Interracial? Single Parent?" I say. "Hey fine, as long as it works
for the child and the family is responsible." My big stand is this: Every child
deserves a home and love. Period.
Dave Thomas.
Founder of Wendy's
adopted child
Dave Thomas.
Founder of Wendy's
adopted child
---
On my way to take Maggie to speech therapy, we saw a small child, wearing nothing but a ratty t-shirt and shorts.
I looked at the temperature in my car, and it was 21 degrees out.
He was crying. Terrified. Alone.
Maybe four years old.
A girl on her way to high school jumped out of a car and picked him up. I made a turn into where they were, along with another woman.
She was on the phone with the cops immediately.
He was shaking and screaming.
I ran home to get him socks, a blanket, and a coat.
By the time I got back, the cops were trying to locate his family.
They found them.
Apparently this isn't the first time.
Now, I realize that the child should learn not to leave his home.
And no parent is perfect.
However, they didn't even notice he was missing.
I got in my car and cried.
I am very sad and angry over the whole situation.
I don't know if anyone was arrested, or if the boy was removed from his home.
I wouldn't want him to be alone in foster care, but I do want him to have the love and attention that every child deserves.
He needs a family that cares & takes notice.
---
I am blessed to have three very beautiful children that I love dearly.
And even if I hadn't given birth to these sweet blessings, I know I would be a parent.
Every child deserves love and happiness.
I am so very thankful for my family.
My parents are amazing, and they are even more amazing grandparents.
Not flesh of my flesh
Nor bone of my bone
But miraculously still my own
Never forget for a single minute
That you grew not under my heart
But in it.
-Anonymous
---
Melissa


No comments:
Post a Comment