Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Mommy & Business.

I always dreamed of being a stay-at-home mom. When we got pregnant with Samantha, we considered this an option... although in the back of my mind, I always thought I would return to work. Then pregnancy happened... and for those that know me, and my experience with pregnancies, they aren't very pretty.

I was working at a bank at the time, and one day, the day after Christmas, a headache struck. I had been experiencing morning sickness, but nothing compared to the headache I was having. I ended up leaving work, heading to my OB's office, and being hospitalized. I was hospitalized until January 2nd. We all hoped that the headaches would go away, but this was the start of a never-ending headache... until about an hour after Samantha was born. I missed a lot of work. A lot, doesn't even really describe the amount of days I missed. Well, turns out, this burned a lot of bridges with "friends" at the bank. I can understand their frustration, but I would only ask for some compassion, and some understanding in trying to understand the pain I go through while being pregnant.

Even with the burned bridges, I still thought that I would return to work after Sam's arrival. Then Brandon and I took Samantha up to work to meet everyone... and I left in tears. Without details, I'll say this... I gave my notice the next day.

I started putting in job applications to various places, thinking that I'd still return to work, at least part time. I wasn't being too proactive about the job search... it was too difficult to think about working outside the home, with such a beautiful little girl in my life. Fast forward to September... and the pregnancy test that changed our lives again. Daycare with one child is one thing, but two, seemed a little ridiculous. I loved being home with Samantha, so it was officially decided that I would stay home.

During this time of heeing and hawing about whether or not to return to work, I started making jewelry, and started a very little home business. I launched a website, made jewelry during naptimes, and in between hospital stays, and was offered by my mom's hair stylist to have her sell the jewelry in her shop.

After Maggie was born, I decided to try a little more with my "business." I tried out the local flea market for 2 months, bust!, and tried promoting my website more. Most recently, I was a vendor at my first craft show, Tea Pot Days, which, I think would have been more positive, if the people in charge hadn't put all the handmade jewelry vendors in the same row! None of us did very well. Even though this is probably the reason, I really doubted my jewelry and my creativity... and it left me wondering if I should continue.

My mom always jokes that my jewelry is Samantha & Maggie's diaper fund... but it's not so much a joke as it is a reality... even selling one necklace makes a huge difference in our lives and our budget. It's not easy becoming a single income family, with a mortgage, 2... almost 3 kids!

So, here's another attempt of trying to get my name out there... Mel's Jewelry Box! Handmade jewelry for you! Free Shipping in the U.S.! Will customize jewelry for you! www.freewebs.com/melsjewelrybox Take a look, be honest... tell me what you think... and maybe, just maybe, my name will be spread a little more, and the diaper fund will continue... which soon will be Samantha, Maggie, and Gavin's diaper fund! (Whew! I can't imagine... and doing so makes my headache worse!)

Melissa

3 comments:

Kendra said...

you are so right, it was a bad idea to put all the jewelry vendors in the same row. I'm pregnant, got tired of walking and it's no fun to visit "repeat" booths one after another. I looked at your web page-very cute jewelry, I really like the pink & black bracelet set! -Kendra

Kendra said...

I told a friend who is getting married about your jewelry for her bridesmaids!

Kristin said...

Melissa
I didn't recognize you - but I do remember you! You are right really small world! I am sorry that you had a bad experience at the bank...frustrating! I will be praying that your headaches start to get better really soon...those are the worst!! :)

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Mommy & Business.

I always dreamed of being a stay-at-home mom. When we got pregnant with Samantha, we considered this an option... although in the back of my mind, I always thought I would return to work. Then pregnancy happened... and for those that know me, and my experience with pregnancies, they aren't very pretty.

I was working at a bank at the time, and one day, the day after Christmas, a headache struck. I had been experiencing morning sickness, but nothing compared to the headache I was having. I ended up leaving work, heading to my OB's office, and being hospitalized. I was hospitalized until January 2nd. We all hoped that the headaches would go away, but this was the start of a never-ending headache... until about an hour after Samantha was born. I missed a lot of work. A lot, doesn't even really describe the amount of days I missed. Well, turns out, this burned a lot of bridges with "friends" at the bank. I can understand their frustration, but I would only ask for some compassion, and some understanding in trying to understand the pain I go through while being pregnant.

Even with the burned bridges, I still thought that I would return to work after Sam's arrival. Then Brandon and I took Samantha up to work to meet everyone... and I left in tears. Without details, I'll say this... I gave my notice the next day.

I started putting in job applications to various places, thinking that I'd still return to work, at least part time. I wasn't being too proactive about the job search... it was too difficult to think about working outside the home, with such a beautiful little girl in my life. Fast forward to September... and the pregnancy test that changed our lives again. Daycare with one child is one thing, but two, seemed a little ridiculous. I loved being home with Samantha, so it was officially decided that I would stay home.

During this time of heeing and hawing about whether or not to return to work, I started making jewelry, and started a very little home business. I launched a website, made jewelry during naptimes, and in between hospital stays, and was offered by my mom's hair stylist to have her sell the jewelry in her shop.

After Maggie was born, I decided to try a little more with my "business." I tried out the local flea market for 2 months, bust!, and tried promoting my website more. Most recently, I was a vendor at my first craft show, Tea Pot Days, which, I think would have been more positive, if the people in charge hadn't put all the handmade jewelry vendors in the same row! None of us did very well. Even though this is probably the reason, I really doubted my jewelry and my creativity... and it left me wondering if I should continue.

My mom always jokes that my jewelry is Samantha & Maggie's diaper fund... but it's not so much a joke as it is a reality... even selling one necklace makes a huge difference in our lives and our budget. It's not easy becoming a single income family, with a mortgage, 2... almost 3 kids!

So, here's another attempt of trying to get my name out there... Mel's Jewelry Box! Handmade jewelry for you! Free Shipping in the U.S.! Will customize jewelry for you! www.freewebs.com/melsjewelrybox Take a look, be honest... tell me what you think... and maybe, just maybe, my name will be spread a little more, and the diaper fund will continue... which soon will be Samantha, Maggie, and Gavin's diaper fund! (Whew! I can't imagine... and doing so makes my headache worse!)

Melissa

3 comments:

Kendra said...

you are so right, it was a bad idea to put all the jewelry vendors in the same row. I'm pregnant, got tired of walking and it's no fun to visit "repeat" booths one after another. I looked at your web page-very cute jewelry, I really like the pink & black bracelet set! -Kendra

Kendra said...

I told a friend who is getting married about your jewelry for her bridesmaids!

Kristin said...

Melissa
I didn't recognize you - but I do remember you! You are right really small world! I am sorry that you had a bad experience at the bank...frustrating! I will be praying that your headaches start to get better really soon...those are the worst!! :)