Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Lost.

Brandon and I went on a last minute trip this past weekend to Minneapolis.

I must admit I was very nervous about it.

We argue. A lot. It's silly, really.

Or maybe not. I don't really know, any more. It's just that we do. It's become a "norm," I suppose.

Anyway, we went to see END OF THE RAINBOW. Because, my obsession with Judy Garland, and the Wizard of Oz, must be fed sometimes. Ha. I looked online, and the tickets were sold out for every. single. show. So, I called the theater. And yes! They had seven tickets left for the 7:30 show on Saturday night. And that was it. So, I got two tickets, for the very top corner of the theater. But I didn't care. Could we see the stage? Yes. Could we hear the actors? Yes. Score.

Brandon's parents eagerly agreed to watch the kids, and Elphie. I think maybe, that they were thinking this trip would somehow rekindle whatever there is left of "us."

Saturday morning came, early. The kids were so excited to go to Grandma Bonnie's.

Samantha said to me, "Mommy, I need a break from you."

WOW.

And we were off.

We took a different route to the cities. Back roads. It was quicker, actually. And more scenic. As if South Dakota and Minnesota could be more scenic. But yes... we got to see some of the Mississippi River. It was pretty, even with winter all around.

We were able to check into the hotel early. We headed over to the Mall of America, and did some shopping. Then we got ready for the play. We ate dinner at PF Changs. (Cheesecake Factory was really busy.)

Then we got realllllllly lost going to the play. I panicked.

The play, simply put, was amazing. It was like seeing Judy Garland, herself, on stage.

Somewhere Over the Rainbow gave me goose bumps.







The next day, we went back to the Mall of America. And then we headed home.

Something was said, that really got to me.

"Melissa, we're not a couple, we're a team."

It got to me because, we aren't definining anything. So no, we're not a couple. We don't hold hands. We don't wear our wedding rings. And we argue all the time. We don't get a long. And I don't really have any strong feelings of well, much. But wow... it hadn't been defined as that before.

We continued on our way.

Conversations happened.

One was about when we met, 12 years ago. What our parents thought about one another.

I said, 'My mom probably thought you were lost."

He agreed. I paused. I sighed.

"Now I am."

And he agreed, again.

Melissa


No comments:

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Lost.

Brandon and I went on a last minute trip this past weekend to Minneapolis.

I must admit I was very nervous about it.

We argue. A lot. It's silly, really.

Or maybe not. I don't really know, any more. It's just that we do. It's become a "norm," I suppose.

Anyway, we went to see END OF THE RAINBOW. Because, my obsession with Judy Garland, and the Wizard of Oz, must be fed sometimes. Ha. I looked online, and the tickets were sold out for every. single. show. So, I called the theater. And yes! They had seven tickets left for the 7:30 show on Saturday night. And that was it. So, I got two tickets, for the very top corner of the theater. But I didn't care. Could we see the stage? Yes. Could we hear the actors? Yes. Score.

Brandon's parents eagerly agreed to watch the kids, and Elphie. I think maybe, that they were thinking this trip would somehow rekindle whatever there is left of "us."

Saturday morning came, early. The kids were so excited to go to Grandma Bonnie's.

Samantha said to me, "Mommy, I need a break from you."

WOW.

And we were off.

We took a different route to the cities. Back roads. It was quicker, actually. And more scenic. As if South Dakota and Minnesota could be more scenic. But yes... we got to see some of the Mississippi River. It was pretty, even with winter all around.

We were able to check into the hotel early. We headed over to the Mall of America, and did some shopping. Then we got ready for the play. We ate dinner at PF Changs. (Cheesecake Factory was really busy.)

Then we got realllllllly lost going to the play. I panicked.

The play, simply put, was amazing. It was like seeing Judy Garland, herself, on stage.

Somewhere Over the Rainbow gave me goose bumps.







The next day, we went back to the Mall of America. And then we headed home.

Something was said, that really got to me.

"Melissa, we're not a couple, we're a team."

It got to me because, we aren't definining anything. So no, we're not a couple. We don't hold hands. We don't wear our wedding rings. And we argue all the time. We don't get a long. And I don't really have any strong feelings of well, much. But wow... it hadn't been defined as that before.

We continued on our way.

Conversations happened.

One was about when we met, 12 years ago. What our parents thought about one another.

I said, 'My mom probably thought you were lost."

He agreed. I paused. I sighed.

"Now I am."

And he agreed, again.

Melissa


No comments: