(When I started composing this, it was a simple "Samantha started school today" post, but then for some reason, I started listing every action of the morning. My apologies. I did leave out bathroom breaks... so you don't have to worry about those details.)
For the past couple of weeks, we have been preparing for Samantha to start preschool.
* School supply shopping
* Uniform shopping
* Parent meetings
* Meeting her teachers
This morning was the big day.
I did not sleep well last night.
In between Maggie screaming from both a bad dream, and a bad headache, to Gavin crying and wanting to snuggle... and Mommy over thinking Sam going to school.
LONG NIGHT.
I got up earlier than usual, which I'm pretty sure will become the new schedule...
I got ready.
Then it was time to wake Sam up.
Me: "Samantha, it's time to get ready for school."
Samantha: "Four more minutes. The princess does not wake early."
She chose to wear the plaid skirt, and I realized that it was too big.
Thus, began the process of trying to safety pin the back of her skirt and having difficulty.
Seriously. Safety pinning was rocket science for me this morning.
Side note: I stink at all things science related.
FINALLY! Safety pinning was complete!
Next, was a quick lesson on how to lift a skirt and take tights down the leg in order to go potty.
Yep... one of those things that I never thought of making her do before.
(She doesn't wear a lot of dresses in the winter, and we've only had one winter with potty success.)
Next step: waking up the other two.
Maggie slept on the couch. She didn't want me to hold her in the middle of the night, and refused to go back to her own bed.
She fussed. Cried a little. And then threw up.
My nerves headed from starting to boil to over the top.
I finally got Maggie dressed, handed her the ever popular blue bowl for puking, and started
to get Gavin ready to go.
I quickly fixed Samantha a bowl of cereal, and then it was picture time...
I had this plan in my head to take her picture holding a dry erase board with her name, date, and year of school. Did it happen early in the morning? Nope. Of course not!
Then we were off.
Maggie with the blue bowl in tow, Samantha with her backpack, Gavin not quite realizing what was going on.
School.
The rule is that a parent has to walk the student to the classroom.
SO, that means all the kiddos have to enter the school, drop Samantha off, and then leave.
Enter: stroller.
Only a single one was in the car.
I parked on the street, and realized that the ramp to get down to the school was much further than I thought. I decided to "off road" it, and go down the bumpy incline.
Finally, we were in the school.
"Mommy, I can go to my school by myself. I don't need you."
Talk about a blow to my self esteem. ;)
I explained it was the rule.
We made it to her classroom, and no one was there, not even her teacher.
A few other kids and their parents arrived, and no one said anything.
All the other parents were on their cell phones.
Samantha tried introducing herself to the other kiddos, but they didn' seem interested in talking.
Eventually, the teacher arrived.
Maggie gave Samantha a hug.
"Ok, bye mom! I'm fine!"
... sigh.
Maggie was feeling better, so we decided to go to the grocery store.
A run around the store, donuts purchased, a ride on the Hyvee kiddo ride, and back in the car.
Home. A party of 3, instead of 4.
Maggie said she was feeling fine, so she decided to try to eat a donut.
I knew in my head this wasn't a good choice, but she was already seeming lost without her sister.
A little bit later, more puking.
I tried getting her to take some medicine, but she refused.
She grabbed her friend, the blue bowl, and snuggled in on the couch.
Gavin relished the time with Mommy, without interruption.
It was eerily quiet without her home.
Maggie wasn't playing, and Gavin was quieter than usual, since he was getting all the attention.
I started dinner in the crock pot.
And counted the minutes until we could leave to get Samantha.
Maggie: "Sammy come home yet?"
I told her we were going to go get her.
Maggie: "YAY! I MISS MY SAMMY!"
11:15, time to go get my Sammy girl.
I went to where I was pretty sure the kiddos would come out.
Waited... waited... waited...
No Samantha.
I gave in and walked down to her classroom, and found her, alone with the teacher in the gym.
Ooooops. I felt ridiculous.
Her teacher, Miss C, just laughed and said that everyone takes some adjusting when kids start school.
Yep. I know I do.
Samantha wouldn't stop talking.
Addison is her new best friend.
They went on a pretend vacation, but she says the location is a secret.
There's also an unnamed little boy who is "silly" because he sees green lions on the wall.
(umm? this is either really creative, or really creepy)
(umm? this is either really creative, or really creepy)
So, she's officially in school.
I'm officially a basket case.
Maggie really misses her sister, and seems a little lost without her.
Wasn't it only yesterday that I was bringing her home from the hospital, squeeging out her nose, changing her diapers, and doing all things infant?
Everyone warned me that time goes fast when you have children.
Fast is an understatement.
Dear Samantha,
I can't believe how big you've gotten.
You are already so intelligent, and I can't imagine how much more
you're going to learn now that you're in pre school.
you're going to learn now that you're in pre school.
You make me smile, and I'm going to miss your witty little self while
you're gone for 3 hours every weekday.
you're gone for 3 hours every weekday.
I hope that you are kind to others, and treat everyone with respect.
I hope that you make a lot of new friends, and work hard to include
everyone in your life at school.
everyone in your life at school.
I am proud of you, big girl.
Love,
Mommy


No comments:
Post a Comment